Monday, February 2, 2015

Great Food Weekend


A lot of delicious eating this weekend! In reverse order:

Enchiladas with creamy green sauce. This was another easy Martha Stewart enchilada recipe, which was very good, but maybe not quite as good as the spicy pumpkin one. Jason made these last night for an excellent Sunday dinner.

It's hard to get a good picture of enchiladas

Earlier in the day, the Brigade reconvened for another greatest hits tour, at Uncle Liu's Hot Pot. Unfortunately, the food was not as good as we remembered. We pondered whether our taste buds have just become too refined, urban sophisticates that we are (kidding!)....but determined we should just do more research on better places to go. Hot pot is very fun though, since they bring you a bunch of raw food and you boil it at your table in spicy or mild broth.

We got pork belly, little dumplings, lotus root, and Chinese cabbage, among other things.
Not wanting to miss out on the further glories of Fairfax county, we decided to get dessert at Pastry Xpo, located in the- wait for it- Mosaic District! You will recall the Mosaic District, the shiny new development we had no idea existed, from our trip to Four Sisters.

Adam wanted pie, ice cream, and coffee. Julia and I shared a salted caramel cupcake. It was very delicious and relaxing. You go, Mosaic District.

Honestly, my stomach was a little overworked from spicy Asian food by that point, since I had a very spicy and delicious dinner the night before, at Thip Kao, a new Lao restaurant in Columbia Heights from a chef that the Brigade was familiar with from our trip to Bangkok Golden way back in 2011. A group of six of us went, so we were able to share many tasty appetizers like spring rolls, papaya salad and potato puffs, and Julia and I split a brothy chicken curry and this rice cured tilapia dish from their more adventurous "jungle" menu.

I did not take this picture, I stole it from Yelp. But this is the dish I ordered.
Jason's pork dish was so spicy that he spent the evening sweating through his clothes, but I think he enjoyed it anyway.

I think I need a fruit and veggie detox for a couple of days....

Other than that, my weekend mostly consisted of lying in bed with Sal, reading cookbooks, guidebooks, and novels. That was pretty great.

It's February! Thank goodness. Not that I love February, but man, January was not a good month. Between the flu and the cracked rib, I mostly associate it with illness. Here's to being one day closer to Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment