I loved this story. I read it on Friday morning while I was dragging my feet getting ready for work, and it was just the reminder I needed to be grateful about getting up and going to work every day. What I especially liked was that yes, she wants/needs to support her family, but she also just seems to like to work- she wants women to be independent, she wants to be a role model, and she wants to open an all-women car dealership! I hope someone starts a kickstarter campaign for her (someone with more visibility than me) because I would definitely want to contribute to her getting a bullet-proof car and investing in her business. And then maybe she can hire someone to stand watch on her roof with a rifle instead of doing it herself.
Julia and I did our own small part to support women shaking things up by going to see the the Riot Grrrls perform The Tempest at the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop. This is the third or fourth time we see the Riot Grrrls do Shakespeare- they are always great and have so much fun on stage- and androgyny and gender-bending in Shakespeare is so apropos since there are already so many of those underlying themes in the plays. The Taffety Punk Theatre Company puts on really good and really cheap shows (unlike, ahem, the two other Shakespeare companies in town) and the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop has a tiny performance space that makes for an almost interactive experience- I was bumped into a few times by the actors. I especially like being able to stare freely at the actors when they are so close to me, something that is not socially acceptable in real life, but which I really enjoy.
It is Saturday, I have no plans, and I am so happy. It is sunny and the snow has melted a bit. Six weeks later, my rib finally feels mostly better. Maybe I'll go for a short run today. I also have a Groupon for a hot yoga studio near my apartment. I hate hot yoga, but I am a sucker for a good deal.
I especially like how the Riot Grrrls yell "RIOT" backstage just after the performance. Simple yet effective.
ReplyDelete