Hooray! I made it to my first major goal- 32 weeks and the baby shower, which happened to coincide with each other. The twins are very likely to be ok now (barring other complications) even though they would still be looking at a long NICU stay. My next goals are to make it to February (two days!), and then to 34 weeks. And then I think I am really in the clear- again, barring other complications. I have also been heartened by hearing stories from three people over the past week of their small babies that were lower on the growth curve than baby girl, and who are fine. The main difference is they weren't harassed about it every week. I know my situation is different because the twins and the discordance make it higher risk, but I still feel more hopeful than I have since any point before the awful appointment that referred me to the specialist at 25 weeks. I only ever got about 5 weeks of feeling positively that this pregnancy was going to be healthy and viable- between the 20 week anatomy scans and the 25 week referral. So it's nice to feel less awful now. Although I was advised to start bringing my hospital bag to my weekly appointments- yikes.
We have another meeting with our doula this week. I don't know why, but she wants to meet. She is just so cheerful and positive and I find it super annoying. Plus last time she made me cry with her suggestion that I start taking my hospital bag to appointments- this sounds different at 26 weeks than 33 weeks.
We had three baby showers last week, and they were all great! Although my house is overflowing with stuff now, and I don't know what to do with most of it. How do stupid people have children? I find it very mentally taxing to open everything, read the instructions, and figure out the best use for it. I opened the breast pump, looked at its many parts, and immediately packed it back up. To be fair, I also have not taken any classes that may have explained some of these things to me. When I was scared of delivering very early, I wasn't sure which hospital I would deliver at (I'm still not) and decided I didn't want to do the tour and class at either of them. Listening to people talk about their fears of being induced at 39 weeks and whether or not they should have an epidural would have made me crazy. My doula recommended a high risk class specifically for parents of multiples, but hearing about potential birth complications for twins just seemed like it would stress me out more. Do I want to tour a NICU? Nope! So, here we are at 32 weeks- I don't know what hospital I will deliver at, I don't know how to change a diaper, prepare a bottle, or use a breast pump. I still fail to understand what a boppy is, or if I need bouncy chairs. Alas.
I have found it best not to voice any baby-related anxieties to people over 50. They are cranks! "We didn't have any of this stuff in my day! Babies slept on their stomachs and were strapped to the roof of the car! We all survived!" Gah. The person in question clearly survived, yes, but lots of other people didn't. The rates for SIDS and traffic fatalities have declined considerably since the 1980s. Why are people so flippant about death?
Assuming I am still pregnant this weekend, my next big task is to start screening and interviewing au pairs. I'm not looking forward to this. It's a very weird thing to hire someone to take care of people you have never met!
Isn't a boppy just a nursing pillow brand, not a specific thing? Anyway, YouTube has answers to every "how do I use this baby gear?" question. Did you succeed in car seat installation?
ReplyDeleteThey will show you all the basic baby care procedures in the hospital - how to breast and/or bottle feed, pump, diaper, burp, etc. I wouldn't worry about those skills. If the twins are in the NICU, you will have an even longer training period by nurses than most women get.
I don't know. I think so, but we are planning to get it inspected. The internet says 4/5 people install car seats wrong. Can that be possible? Did you get yours inspected?
ReplyDeleteWe didn't get ours inspected. We put together all the baby furniture and installed all the car seats the week before the baby came, thinking we had another week to do such things as inspections. But we did not.
ReplyDeleteI don't think 4/5 people install their carseats incorrectly, unless maybe those 4 are the same fools who reportedly can't figure out how to use a condom correctly and have forced public health authorities to say that condoms are only like 70% effective in preventing pregnancy (b/c if you forget to put it on... or you take it off in the middle... etc.). In which case, if you can correctly use a condom, you can probably install a carseat. And also, maybe there should be public inspections of correct condom use...
I just came from the inspection and can see how 4/5 people do it sub-optimally, if not wrong. She made a lot of adjustments to straps and heights and leveling, and such. It was helpful! It seems much more complicated than condom installation, although maybe I would be surprised at an inspection of that as well.
ReplyDeleteDon't the majority of babies come by 39 weeks? Why were you surprised you didn't have that last week?