Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Settlement

Today's the day! If all goes well, we will be homeowners in a few hours. (The closing got moved back to today, after being moved to tomorrow afternoon, and then tomorrow morning. Because I am not having enough of a heart attack as-is.) Apparently the buyer's remorse is supposed to hit you hard at closing. We shall see. I would like a break from the the bouts of generalized anxiety.

Other updates:

I don't remember DC ever being this intensely hot + thunderstorm-y before, especially this early in the summer. Today is supposed to be 99 degrees, with a heat index of 104. I still went for a short run last night. Whenever I've spent more than 20 minutes outside this past week, I've had to come home and lay down for a couple of hours to recover. And whenever I work a 9 hour day, go for a run, and cook dinner, I get into bed around 9:45, planning to read for an hour, and am asleep within 15 minutes, often under a pile of newspapers.

Last night I made turkey and zucchini burgers from the Jerusalem cookbook (I don't own it, I just googled the recipe.)

I really liked this recipe. The burgers are more zucchini than turkey which makes them very moist, and the herbs give them an unusual flavor, especially the mint. We got the mint at Eastern Market and it was so strong it was clearing my sinuses while I chopped it. And the yogurt sauce has a ton of sumac (thanks, Rita!) which makes it really delicious. It's almost better without the pita since all the flavors come through better, but I can't have dinner without carbs.  Tonight I'm planning to make another version of the lemon soup with chicken, with the stock I made this weekend.  And I think I'll make this summer squash pasta with the leftover zucchini.

Hopefully more updates to come on the joys of homeownership, and not on the horrors of doing a walk-through and discovering standing water from all the recent storms in your new basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment