How Sal spent his weekend.
I was able to exercise again for the first time since the rib incident. I was feeling better a few weeks ago but then thought I was having a relapse so I held back. I hope whatever is going on is over- I'm tired of feeling like a geriatric couch potato. On Friday, I did a workout class at my office gym during lunch- it was a "buddy workout" with a co-worker, where we used each other as resistance and for balance. I think that was a bonding experience? And today I used my Groupon for the first of my five hot yoga classes.
I'm going to give the studio at least one more shot, but I think I may hate hot yoga. I spent at least 60 percent of the 90 minute class with my head down on the mat trying not to pass out. I also kept having flashbacks to my internship in New York in the summer of 2006- the smell of sweat and waves of intense heat always brings me back. Other things that remind me of that summer: Starbucks iced coffee and croissants and corporate indoctrination.
Anyway, I came home, took a shower, and then had to lay down for about two hours. I'm not sure my body responds well to extreme heat- and I don't even feel like I got a workout!
Cooking:
This was a great few days for cooking. On Friday, I made Gourmet's Chicken Curry with Cashews and it was the best curry I've made at home. You grind up the cashews and that's what thickens the sauce- genius! I used boneless chicken and greek yogurt, but otherwise pretty much followed the recipe.
Yesterday, Jason made the best homemade pasta sauce we've had- Pasta all'Amatriciana. This only needed to simmer for about 40 minutes and was more flavorful than the slow-cooker tomato sauce we made last month. Probably all the different pork products help!
And tonight we had this slow cooker Beef Noodle Soup. I'm not sure I used blade meat- the meat stall at Eastern Market had already cut-up "stew beef" so I went with that. I'm not sure it was the best soup I've made at home (in keeping with the theme) but if not, it was close.
Week Ahead:
Rita is coming to visit for Julia's bachelorette party!




That was a good summer. You introduced me to iced coffee that summer, and I also introduced myself to the Chinatown bus concept, both of which have served me well over the years.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if the corporate indoctrination had been more effective and you'd gone into advertising, you'd have lots of money by now and maybe a house close to the metro, but more likely an apartment in Brooklyn, but also close to a metro.
Unlikely that I would have more money or real estate buying power in N.Y.! An apartment in Brooklyn is basically the D.C. equivalent of my life.
ReplyDeleteSays NY Mag about advertising salaries in NY: "After three to five years, these people generally become associate media directors and their salaries enter the $70,000-to-$100,000 bracket. From here, you move to media director and begin earning around $125,000, with a bonus of $6,000 to $10,000."
ReplyDeleteIf you'd started in 2008 and worked continuously through now, you would probably have more, though some of your additional moneyz would've been lost to higher rent over the years. But still, enough to buy something good. (And assuming Jason just magically lived in NY instead of DC and remained otherwise identical.)
I think that article is a little...optimistic about salary opportunities across the board. But yes, what I did- switching industries and taking an entry level job seven years into your career- is not the best for salary growth....plus, in advertising, I probably would not have gone to grad school.
ReplyDeleteWell, maybe an MBA at some point, which may have given you a bigger salary increase than an MPP. So basically, the corporate indoctrination was right.
ReplyDeleteRight about what? I would have failed MBA-school and been a miserable person if I had pursued advertising. I think. Also, not everyone becomes a Director.
ReplyDeleteAlso likely that an MBA would have cost me more than an MPP both in terms of cash and opportunity costs.