I think part of the problem is that when you strenuously de-clutter, you don't have multiples of items to fall back on. Other times in my life I have owned many versions of lunchboxes and travel coffee mugs. But a much bigger part is that I buy into the currently popular philosophy behind de-cluttering, which is to get rid of things that do not "spark joy." I have not read Marie Kondo's book, but I mostly agree with the idea that you should get rid of things that do not immediately make you happy, and take joy in your possessions that serve you well. (Not that I have de-cluttered to this standard at all. It's tough!) But obviously part of that idea is that some of your possessions DO make you really happy, and this exercise makes you spend more time thinking about how much you like the items you choose to keep!
People have criticized this idea by saying, what, I should get rid of my blender if it doesn't spark joy? How is a toaster supposed to spark joy? But I think they can! I don't have the kitchen space for a blender or toaster right now, and I can totally imagine being really happy in the future to have these appliances, and being appreciative that the toaster saved me from the hassle of using the oven broiler to make toast. Similarly, I liked this lunchbox because it was sleek and sophisticated-looking, and fit my lunch containers well, I liked the tupperware because it was a great size and was almost continuously in use, and this coffee mug was great because it never leaked in my bag and kept my coffee hot for hours. I had taken the time to appreciate these qualities while I had them.
![]() |
| Sal, for example, really appreciates his bed, but also does not give a damn, in general |
In conclusion, I am torn. I am re-thinking this method because I don't think it's healthy to be so attached to inconsequential material possessions. But do think it's a good idea to appreciate your belongings for what they do well, so that you can get rid of things that don't meet this standard. Maybe I should focus on achieving a state of detachment- then I can get rid of things and not worry about anything at all, especially losing a lunchbox.
*I'm over it now, please do not worry that I have lost my mind.

No comments:
Post a Comment